Thursday, August 27, 2009

35. Don't eat snacks past 9 PM for one month.

I started this on Sunday, July 19, 2009 and ended on Monday, August, 17, 2009.

This task opened my eyes to how much I snack after 9 PM. Once I would get Avie down for bed, I found all this extra time to realize I wanted a snack. This certainly got me on track to watching what I eat. It was hard a few times to stay on track because during that month, I took two one week trips to visit family and friends. I am proud to say that I resisted the urge to snack when everyone else was but it was not easy. *patting myself on the back* Now that this task is over with, I have disciplined myself to really re-think ALL snacking once Avie has gone to bed at 8 PM.

My husband told me many years ago that it takes 21 days to form a habit. I did some research and found out that he really wasn't just making it up. Dr Maxwell Maltz wrote the bestseller Psycho-Cybernetics. Originally a Plastic Surgeon, Maltz noticed that it took 21 days for amputees to cease feeling phantom sensations in the amputated limb. From further observations he found it took 21 days to create a new habit.” Since then the ‘21Day Habit Theory’ has become an accepted part of self-help programs.

1 comment:

  1. I was told years ago about the 21 day thing too! I find myself repeating it as a mantra when things get tough. :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete