Sunday, April 26, 2009

70. Every week for a month, make a dish I've never made. (3/4)

3. New England Clam Chowder from Woodman's of Essex in Essex, Massachusetts (out of Coastal Living Magazine)
- I just received my latest Coastal Living Magazine and they had a section devoted to "The Best Seafood Dives" and on the fourth page was a "Secret Dive Recipe" for clam chowder which happens to be a family favorite. Matt begged me to make this as my new recipe for the week and I gladly accepted. I've never made any kind of homemade soup so I was very excited to make this. We hit up our favorite fresh seafood joint: Joe Patti's where I purchased fresh clams. Moving down here has been such a bonus in the department of fresh seafood! Had we lived in Michigan still, this recipe would not have been as exciting as I would have had to use "canned" clams - ewwwww!!!

I must admit this recipe was very easy to make. This was a huge hit! The first words to come out of my husband's mouth was, "DAMN!! This is really good!" I totally agree! This recipe is going down as a King family classic and if I ever have you over for lunch or dinner, there's a big chance this is going to be on the menu! This is a MUST TRY if you love you some clam chowder! By far my favorite new recipe!

INGREDIENTS
2 cups water
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups minced clams, with juices
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS
Cook clams (I boiled 2 cups of water with 1/4 cup of salt for 20 minutes or until the clams completely open up. Any clams that do not open up, throw them out.)

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until potato is tender.

Add clams, and return mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and let stand 20 minutes.

Stir in cream and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment