Wednesday, December 2, 2009

40. Go to the Forgotten Coast with Matt for a weekend.

November 20 - 22, 2009

As soon as we moved to Florida two years ago, the first thing I did was get my hands on Southern Living and Coastal Living Magazines. Moving to a new area means a lot of fun exploring and adventure! Southern Living Magazine ran a spread back in January 2008 about Florida's Forgotten Coast (FC) and I knew it was a place we had to visit. So for my 6th wedding anniversary, I planned a surprise trip there for my hubby. For our 5th wedding anniversary we traveled 3 hours West to New Orleans so I thought it was perfect that this year we traveled 3 hours East.

I picked Port Saint Joe as the city we would stay in because of it's rich history and for it being the site of the first Constitutional Convention in Florida in 1838 where it almost became Florida's state capital. The FC is also known as the oyster capital of the world and its GORGEOUS beaches. Most of the beaches there show up constantly in Coastal Living in all sorts of "Top 10" lists. There were so many wonderful things to do and see so I will just post some pictures from our trip. With it's close proximity, we will be going back again.

The FC starts at Mexico Beach and this was our view driving.


It's not called the FC for nothing. We saw, maybe, 4 people on the beach - it was so quiet and it was sea shell heaven! We've never seen so many HUGE, untouched shells just washing on the shore. This specific beach is on Cape San Blas - recently featured in Coastal Living as one of the top 10 hidden beaches in the country.


Seafood Jambalaya, Oyster Po Boy's and Key Lime ANYTHING down there! So dang good. I think I gained 5 lbs just over that weekend. HA! This meal was at Dockside Cafe & Raw Bar.


In Apalachicola at my newly found favorite antique store: The Tin Shed with a view of the bay and some oyster boats.

In Mexico Beach, we visited Killer Seafood an amazing joint known for their famous fish tacos and key lime pie. They were featured in the May 2009 Coastal Living as one of Florida's best seafood dives. The food was all prepared fresh and right in front of us. These were the BEST fish tacos (they used fresh, local Grouper) and I have certainly eaten my fair share of them from all over the U.S.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Here is to the next 6 years! I love you!

1 comment: